LST-501 was laid down on 30 June 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 22 September 1943; sponsored by Miss Ellen B. Reed; and commissioned on 26 November 1943.
During World War II, LST-501 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945.
Following the war, LST-501 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-October 1945. Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 20 August 1947 and struck from the Navy list on 29 September that same year. On 7 May 1948, she was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-501 earned three battle stars for World War II service.