LST-500 was laid down on 8 September 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 10 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Ben Moreell; and commissioned on 13 January 1944.
During World War II, LST-500 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 18 July 1947. She was struck from the Navy list on 1 August 1947. On 20 April 1948., the ship was sold to the Southern Trading Co., of Wilmington, Del., for operation.
LST-500 earned one battle star for World War II service.