LST-497 was laid down on 26 August 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 27 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Paul H. Schmidt; and commissioned on 31 December 1943, Lt. C. V. Riley, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-497 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, she returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 18 December 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 8 January 1946. On 30 January 1948, the ship was sold to the Anglo-Canadian Pulp & Paper Mills, Quebec, Canada, for operation.
LST-497 earned one battle star for World War II service.