LST-496 was laid down on 24 August 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 22 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Fred McCutchan; and commissioned on 27 December 1943, Lt. Stanley H. Koch, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-496 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She was sunk by enemy mines off Omaha Beach, Normandy, on 11 June 1944. LST-496 was struck from the Navy list on 22 August 1944.
LST-496 earned one battle star for World War II service.