LST-494 was laid down on 10 August 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 11 October 1943; sponsored by Miss Marilyn Elise Stevens; and commissioned on 18 December 1943.
During World War II, LST-494 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occuuation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, LST-494 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early March 1946 and saw China service from mid-March through late May 1946. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 29 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 12 August 1948, the ship was sold to Bosey, Philippines.
LST-494 earned three battle stars for World War II service.