LST-492 was laid down on 3 August 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 30 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. John A. Spruill; and commissioned on 8 December 1943.
During World War II, LST-492 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1945. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945.
Following the war, LST-492 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 17 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 23 June 1947. On 24 February 1948, the tank landing ship was sold to Green's Bayou Transporters, Houston, Tex., for non-self-propelled operation.
LST-492 earned three battle stars for World War II service.