LST-491 was laid down on 29 July 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 23 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Barton Cook; and commissioned on 3 December 1943.
During World War II, LST-491 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945.
Following the war, LST-491 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early January 1946. The tank landing ship returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 12 January 1946. She was loaned to the Japanese government on 31 March 1952 and operated under the Shipping Control Authority, Japan. The ship was later operated by MSTS (later MSC) Pacific. LST-491 was struck from the Navy list in June 1975 and transferred to the Philippine Navy on 13 September 1976.
LST-491 earned three battle stars for World War II service.