LST-488 was laid down on 11 January 1943 at Richmond, Calif., by Kaiser, Inc.; launched on 5 March 1943; and commissioned on 24 May 1943.
During World War II, LST-488 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Occupation and defense of Cape Torokina—November 1943
Capture and occupation of Guam—July 1944
Leyte landing—October 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Following the war, LST-488 was redesignated LSTH-488 on 15 September 1945 and performed occupation duty in the Far East until early January 1946. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 11 January 1946. She was redesignated LST-488 on 6 March 1952 and served with the Military Sea Transportation Service as USNS LST-488 in the postwar period. The ship was transferred to the Republic of the Philippines as a lease on 15 July 1972.
LST-488 earned four battle stars and the Navy Unit Commendation for World War II service