Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-487

 

LST-487 was laid down on 2 January 1943 at Richmond, Calif., by Kaiser, Inc.; launched on 23 January 1943; and commissioned on 27 April 1943.

 

During World War II, LST-487 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

 

Capture and occupation of Saipan—June and July 1944

Tinian capture and occupation—July 1944

Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands—September and October 1944

Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945

Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—May 1945

 

Following the war, LST-487 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early November 1945. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 15 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 1 May that same year. On 20 February 1948, the ship was sold to Brown & Root, of Houston, Tex., for merchant service.

 

LST-487 earned five battle stars for World War II service.