Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-483

 

LST-483 was laid down on 21 September 1942 at Richmond, Calif., by Kaiser, Inc.; launched on 30 December 1942; and commissioned on 3 May 1943.

 

During World War II, LST-483 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

 

Capture and occupation of Saipan—June and July 1944

Tinian capture and occupation—July 1944

Leyte landings—October 1944

Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April 1945

 

Following the war, LST-483 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 10 February 1946. The tank landing ship was redesignated Brewster County (LST-483) on 1 July 1955 after a county in Texas. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 11 August 1955, and she was later sunk as a target.

 

LST-483 earned four battle stars for World War II service.