LST-482 was laid down on 14 September 1942 at Richmond, Calif., by Kaiser, Inc.; launched on 17 December 1942; and commissioned on 20 March 1943, Lt. R. L. Eddy, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-482 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Gilbert Islands operation—November and December 1943 Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls—
January and February 1944 Hollandia operation—April 1944 Capture and occupation of Guam—July 1944 Leyte landings—October 1944 Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945 Following the war, LST-482 was redesignated LSTH-482 on 15 September 1945. She performed occupation duty in the Far East in November and December 1945. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 23 February 1946 and redesignated LST-482 on 6 March 1952. The tank landing ship was subsequently named Branch County (LST-482) on 1 July 1955 after a county in Michigan. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 11 August 1955. In early March 1956, the ship was sunk by naval gunfire and submarine-launched torpedoes in an exercise off San Diego, Calif.
LST-482 earned six battle stars for World War II service.