LST-477 was laid down on 12 August 1942 at Richmond, Calif., by Kaiser, Inc.; launched on 29 October 1942; and commissioned on 19 February 1942, Lt. Josiah K, Adams, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-477 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Gilbert Islands operation—November and December 1943
Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls—February 1944
Capture and occupation of Guam—July 1944
Assault and occupation of Iwo Jima—February 1945
Following the war, LST-477 was redesignated LST(H)-477 on 15 September 1945. She performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-February 1946. She returned to the United States and was struck from the Navy list on 28 August 1947. On 27 March 1948, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., of Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-477 earned four battle stars and the Navy Unit Commendation for World War II service.