LST-470 was laid down on 26 October 1942 at Vancouver, Wash., by Kaiser, Inc.; launched on 30 November 1942; and commissioned on 9 March 1943, Lt. Richard McMahon, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-470 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Eastern New Guinea operation:
(a) Lae occupation—September 1943
(b) Saidor occupation—January 1944
Bismarck Archipelago operation:
(a) Cape Gloucester, New Britain—December 1943
(b) Admiralty Islands landing—March 1944
Hollandia operation—April 1944
Western New Guinea operations:
(a) Biak Island operation—May and June 1944
(b) Cape Sansapor operation—July and August 1944
(c) Morotai landings—September 1944
Leyte landings—October and November 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Consolidation of the southern Philippines:
(a) Palawan Island landings—February and March 1945
(b) Mindanao Island landings—April 1945
Balikpapan operation—June and July 1945
Following the war, LST-470 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 4 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 5 June that same year. On 4 November 1947, the tank landing ship was sold to Dulien Steel Products, Inc., Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-470 earned eight battle stars and the Navy Unit Commendation for World War II service.