LST-461 was laid down on 30 September 1942 at Vancouver, Wash., by Kaiser, Inc.; launched on 3 November 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Eugene E. Blazier; and commissioned on 18 February 1943, Lt. E. A. Bjork, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-461 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Capture and occupation of Saipan—June and July 1944
Tinian capture and occupation—July 1944
Leyte landings—October 1944
Manila Bay-Bicol operation:
(a) Nasugbu—January 1945
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—May 1945
Following the war, LST-461 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 2 September 1947 and struck from the Navy list on 16 September that same year. On 30 March 1948, the tank landing ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., of Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-461 earned five battle stars for World War II