LST-458 was laid down on 18 September 1942 at Vancouver, Wash., by Kaiser, Inc.; launched on 26 October 1942; and commissioned on 10 February 1943, Lt. F. W. Hinrichs, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-458 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Eastern New Guinea operation:
(a) Lae occupation—September 1943
(b) Saidor occupation—February 1944
Bismarck Archipelago operation:
(a) Cape Gloucester, New Britain—December 1943, January and February 1944
(b) Admiralty Islands landings—March 1944
Hollandia operation—April 1944
Western New Guinea operations:
(a) Toem-Wakde-Sarmi area operation—May 1944
(b) Biak Island operation—June 1944
(c) Noemfoor Island operation—July 1944
(d) Cape Sansapor operation—August 1944
(e) Morotai landings—September 1944
Leyte landings—October and November 1944
Mindanao Island landings—April 1945
Following the war, LST-458 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-October 1945. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 15 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946. On 31 October 1947, the ship was sold to the Luria Steel & Trading Corp., of Philadelphia, Pa., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-458 earned six battle stars and the Navy Unit Commendation for World War II service.