LST-453 was laid down on 28 July 1942 at Vancouver, Wash., by Kaiser, Inc., launched on 10 October 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Edward M. Argersinger; and commissioned on 21 January 1943, Lt. A. J. Hamre, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-453 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Eastern New Guinea operation:
(a) Supporting and consolidation operationsóSeptember through December 1943
(b) Finschhafen occupationóDecember 1943 through February 1944
Bismarck Archipelago operation:
(a) Arawe, New BritainóDecember 1943
LST-453 was redesignated ARL-40 and named Remus (q.v.) on 15 August 1944. On 15 July 1946, she was decommissioned and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. She was sold to B. T. Jones on 16 December 1947 for scrapping.
LST-453 earned one battle star for World War II service.