LST-449 was laid down on 10 July 1942 at Vancouver, Wash., by Kaiser, Inc.; launched on 30 September 1942; and commissioned on 31 December 1942.
During World War II, LST-449 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Consolidation of southern Solomons — April through June 1943
Occupation and defense of Cape Torokina—November and December 1943
Capture and occupation of Guam—July 1944
Assault and occupation of Iwo Jima—February 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April 1945
Following the war, LST-449 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early November 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 16 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 March that same year. On 27 January 1947, the tank landing ship was sold to a private purchaser for scrapping.
LST-449 earned five battle stars and the Navy Unit Commendation for World War II service.