LST-446 was laid down on 15 June 1942 at Vancouver, Wash., by Kaiser, Inc.; launched on 18 September 1942; and commissioned on 30 November 1942, Lt. H. A. Swartz, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-446 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Consolidation of southern Solomons — March through June 1943
New Georgia Group operation:
(a) New Georgia-Rendova-Vangunu occupation—July and August 1943
(b) Vella Lavella occupation—August 1943
(a) Occupation and defense of Cape Torokina—November and December 1943
Green Islands landing—February 1944
Capture and occupation of Guam—July 1944
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April 1945
Following the war, LST-446 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-December 1945. Upon her return to the United States, the tank landing ship was decommissioned on 13 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 8 October that same year. On 10 February 1947, she was sold to the Suwannee Fruit & Steamship Co., of Jacksonville, Fla., for conversion to merchant service.
LST-446 earned six battle stars and the Navy Unit Commendation for service in World War II.