Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-409

 

LST-409 was laid down on 9 September 1942 at Baltimore, Md., by the Bethlehem Fairfield Co.; launched on 15 November 1942; and transferred to the United Kingdom and commissioned on 6 January 1943. LST-409 saw no active service in the United States Navy. The tank landing ship was decommissioned and returned to United States Navy custody on 2 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 29 October that same year. Sometime between 21 November 1946 and 6 January 1947, LST-409 was sold to Greece.