Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-401

 

LST-401 was laid down on 17 August 1942 at Baltimore, Md., by the Bethlehem Fairfield Co.; launched on 16 October 1942; delivered to the United Kingdom on 30 November 1942 and commissioned in the Royal Navy that same day.

 

LST-401 never saw active service in the United States Navy. She served in the Royal Navy through the end of World War II and was returned to the custody of the United States Navy on 7 March 1946. On 5 June 1946, less than three months after her return, she was struck from the Navy list; and, on 11 October 1947, she was sold to Luria Brothers & Co., of Philadelphia, Pa.