LST-400 was laid down on 28 September 1942 at the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co.; launched on 23 November 1942; sponsored by Miss Judith Flax-ington; and commissioned on 7 January 1943.
During World War II, LST-400 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Sicilian occupation in July 1943 and the invasion of Normandy in June 1944.
Following the war, LST-400 was redesignated Bradley County (LST-400) on 1 July 1955 after counties in Arkansas and Tennessee. The tank landing ship was transferred to Taiwan as a grant in aid in September 1958 where she served as Chung Suo (LST-217). She was struck from the Navy list on 25 April 1960.
LST-400 earned two battle stars for World War II service.