LST-397 was laid down on 28 September 1942 at the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co.; launched on 23 November 1942; sponsored by Miss Gretchen Lou White; and commissioned on 28 December 1942.
During World War II, LST-397 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Consolidation of southern Solomons—June 1943 New Georgia Group operation:
(a) New Georgia-Rendova-Vangunu occupation—July 1943
(b) Vella Lavella occupation—August 1943
Occupation and defense of Cape Torokina—November and December 1943
Hollandia operation—April 1944
Western New Guinea operation:
(a) Biak Island operation—June 1944
(b) Noemfoor Island operation—July 1944
(c) Cape Sansapor operation—July and August 1944
(d) Morotai landings—September 1944
Leyte landings—November 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Mindanao Island landings—March 1945
Following the war, LST-397 performed occupation duty in the Far East in October 1945. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 26 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 5 June that same year. On 30 September 1947, LST-397 was sold to the Patapsco Scrap Corp., of Baltimore, Md., for scrapping.
LST-397 earned seven battle stars and the Navy Unit Commendation for World War II service.