LST-393 was laid down on 27 July 1942 at the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co.; launched on 11 November 1942; sponsored by Miss Lucy Jean Soren-son; and commissioned on 11 December 1942, Lt. John H. Halifax, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-393 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Sicilian occupation—July 1943
Salerno landings—September 1943
Invasion of Normandy—June 1944
Following the war, LST-393 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 1 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 14 March 1947. On 28 March 1948, the tank landing ship was sold to the Sand Products Corp., Detroit, Mich., for conversion to merchant service.
LST-393 earned three battle stars for World War II service.