LST-392 was laid down on 14 July 1942 at the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co.; launched on 28 October 1942; sponsored by Miss Jane Lewis Irvine; and commissioned on 7 December 1942, Lt. Louis R. Lemaire, Jr., USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-392 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Tunisian operations—May through July 1943
Sicilian occupation—July 1943
Salerno landings—September 1943
Invasion of Normandy—June 1944
Following the war, LST-392 was decommissioned on 12 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 8 October 1947, the tank landing ship was sold to the H. H. Buncher Co., Pittsburgh, Pa., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-392 earned four battle stars for World War II service.