LST-389 was laid down on 20 June 1942 at the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co.; launched on 28 September 1942; sponsored by Miss Clara Elizabeth Ashe; and commissioned on 24 November 1942, Lt. George C. Carpenter, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-389 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Sicilian occupation—July 1943
Salerno landings—September 1943
Invasion of Normandy—June 1944
LST-389 was decommissioned on 12 March 1946. She was redesignated Boone County (LST-389) after eight counties in the United States on 1 July 1955 and struck from the Navy list on 1 June 1959. In May 1960, the ship was transferred to the government of Greece as grant aid where she served in the Royal Hellenic Navy as Lesbos (L-172).
LST-389 earned three battle stars for World War II service.