LST-388 was laid down on 20 June 1942 at the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co.; launched on 28 September 1942; sponsored by Miss Barbara Ann Besse; and commissioned on 20 November 1942.
During World War II, LST-388 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Tunisian operations—November 1942 through July 1943
Sicilian occupation—July 1943
Salerno landings—September 1943
Invasion of Normandy—June 1944
After the war, she was decommissioned on 1 February 1947 and struck from the Navy list on 25 February 1947. On 7 April 1948, the ship was transferred to the Maritime Administration and later sold.
LST-388 earned four battle stars for World War II