LST-383 was laid down on 16 June 1942 at the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co.; launched on 28 September 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Estelle Lynette Cushman; and commissioned on 27 October 1942.
During World War II, LST-383 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Sicilian occupation—July 1943
Salerno landings—September 1943
Anzio-Nettuno advanced landings—January through March 1944
Invasion of Normandy—June 1944
LST-383 was transferred to the United Kingdom on 20 November 1944
She was retransferred to the Netherlands East Indies Maritime Customs as a sale on 10 June 1946. On 3 July 1946, LST-383 was struck from the Navy list.
LST-383 earned four battle stars for World War II service.