LST-379 was laid down on 12 December 1942 at Quincy, Mass., by the Bethlehem Steel Co.; launched on 6 February 1943; sponsored by Miss Elizabeth Virginia Collins; and commissioned on 12 February 1943, Lt. John T. Salistean in command.
During World War II, LST-379 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Sicilian occupation—July 1943
Salerno landings—September 1943
Anzio-Nettuno advanced landings — January through March 1944
Invasion of Normandy—June 1944
Following the war, LST-379 performed occupation duty in the Far East in September 1945. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 28 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 20 March 1946. On 12 April 1948, the tank landing ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., Bethlehem, Pa., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-379 earned four battle stars for World War II service.