LST-378 was laid down on 12 December 1942 at Quincy, Mass., by the Bethlehem Steel Co.; launched on 6 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Herbert A. Hope; and commissioned on 10 February 1943.
During World War II, LST-378 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Sicilian occupation—July 1943
Salerno landings—September 1943
Anzio-Nettuno advanced landings — January through March 1944
Invasion of Normandy—June 1944
Following the war, LST-378 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-January 1946. She was decommissioned on 20 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 5 March 1947. On 1 June 1947, the tank landing ship was sold to the United States Military Government, Korea.
LST-378 earned four battle stars for World War II service.