LST-371 was laid down on 29 October 1942 at Quincy, Mass., by the Bethlehem Steel Co., launched on 12 December 1942; sponsored by Mrs. John E. Varney; and commissioned on 16 January 1943.
During World War II, LST-371 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Sicilian occupation—July 1943
Salerno landings—September 1943
Invasion of Normandy—June 1944
On 17 November 1944, LST-371 was transferred to the United Kingdom. She was struck from the Navy list on 26 February 1946 and returned to United States Navy custody and decommissioned on 16 March 1946. The tank landing ship was sold to Bosey, Philippines, on 5 December 1947.
LST-371 earned three battle stars for World War II service.