LST-357 was laid down on 24 October 1942 at the Charleston (S.C.) Navy Yard; launched on 14 December 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Richard Wilder Smith; and commissioned on 8 February 1943, Lt. J. C. Reynolds in command.
During World War II, LST-357 operated in the Mediterranean and European theaters, participating in the invasions of Sicily (July 1943) and Salerno (September 1943) and, later, the invasion of Normandy (June 1944). Following the war, LST-357 performed occupation duty in the Far East in October and November 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 8 June 1946 and stricken from the Navy list on 31 July 1946. On 1 April 1948, the tank landing ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., Bethlehem, Pa., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-357 earned three battle stars for World War II service.