LST-356 was laid down on 7 September 1942 at the Charleston Navy Yard; launched on 16 November 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Harold Eivington Parker; and commissioned on 22 December 1942, Lt. G. A. Jaguemot in command.
During World War II, LST-356 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Sicilian occupation—July 1943
Salerno landings—September 1943
Invasion of Normany—June 1944
LST-356 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 21 September 1945. On 1 July 1955, she was named Bledsoe County (LST-356) after a county in Tennessee. The tank landing ship was struck from the Navy list on 1 September 1960 and sold to the Mechanical Equipment Co., New Orleans, La., on 8 March 1961 and subsequently scrapped.
LST-356 earned three battle stars for World War II service.