LST-355 was laid down on 7 September 1942 at the Charleston Navy Yard; launched on 16 November 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Wendell E. Kraft; and commissioned on 22 December 1942, Lt. Norman L. Knipe, Jr., USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-355 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Salerno landings in September 1943 and the invasion of Normandy in June 1944.
Following the war, LST-355 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early March 1946. She was decommissioned on 6 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 October 1947. On 10 April 1948, the tank landing ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash.
LST-355 earned two battle stars for World War II service.