LST-354 was laid down on 15 July 1942 at the Charleston Navy Yard; launched on 13 October 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Jean Browne McCall; and commissioned on 27 November 1942, Lt. B. W. Robb, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-354 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
New Georgia Group operation:
(a) New Georgia-Rendova-Vangunu occupation—July 1943
(b) Vella Lavella occupation—August 1943
Occupation and defense of Cape Torokina—November 1943
Green Islands landing—February 1944
Capture and occupation of Saipan—June 1944
Assault and occupation of Iwo Jima—February 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April 1945
Following the war, LST-354 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-December 1945. She was decommissioned on 30 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 16 December 1947, the tank landing ship was sold the the Southwest Steel Corp., of Pittsburgh, Pa., and subsequently scrapped. LST-354 earned six battle stars and the Navy Unit Commendation for World War II service.