LST-343 was laid down on 18 October 1942 at the Norfolk Navy Yard; launched on 15 December 1942; and commissioned on 9 January 1943, Lt. H. H. Rightmeyer in command.
During World War II, LST-343 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Consolidation of southern Solomons—June 1943
New Georgia-Rendova-Vangunu occupation—July 1943
Occupation and defense of Cape Torokina—December 1943
Capture and occupation of Guam—July and August 1944
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April 1945
Following the war, LST-343 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-January 1946. Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 27 January 1946. She was transferred to the United States Army Military Government in Korea on 21 February 1947 as a sale and struck from the Navy list on 5 March 1947.
LST-343 earned five battle stars and the Navy Unit Commendation for World War II service.