LST-325 was laid down on 10 August 1942 at the Philadelphia Navy Yard; launched on 27 October 1942; sponsored by Mrs. G. C. Wells; and commissioned on 1 February 1943, Lt. Ira Ehrensall, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-325 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Sicilian occupation in July 1943 and the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She was decommissioned on 2 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 1 September 1961. On 1 September 1964, LST-325 was transferred to Greece as grant aid where she remained active as Syros (L-144).
LST-325 earned two battle stars for World War II service.
In peace as well as in war, LST's have traditionally made themselves useful wherever heavy cargoes or equipment need hauling. Here a Seabee power shovel is landed from the Military Sea Transportation Service's LST-325.