LST-318 was laid down on 15 October 1942 at the New York Navy Yard; launched on 28 January 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Emma V. Umstead; and commissioned on 8 February 1943.
During World War II, LST-318 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Sicilian occupation in July and August 1943. During this occupation duty, she was sunk, on 9 August 1943, by enemy aircraft off Coronia, Sicily. She was struck from the Navy list on 20 October 1943.
LST-318 earned one battle star for World War II service.