LST-317 was laid down on 15 October 1942 at the New York Navy Yard; launched on 28 January 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Florence Whitehouse; and commissioned on 6 February 1943.
During World War II, LST-317 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Sicilian occupation—July 1943
Salerno landings—September 1943
Invasion of Normandy—June 1944
Upon her return to the United States, LST-317 was decommissioned on 18 May 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 12 March 1946. On 22 January 1947, the tank landing ship was sold to A. G. Schoonmaker.
LST-317 earned three battle stars for World War II service.