LST-314 was laid down on 7 September 1942 at the New York Navy Yard; launched on 30 December 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Gertrude F. Holmes; and commissioned on 15 January 1943.
During World War II, LST-314 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Sicilian occupation—July 1943
Salerno landings—September 1943
Invasion of Normandy—June 1944
The tank landing ship was sunk by an enemy torpedo off Normandy on 9 June 1944. On 22 August 1944, she was struck from the Navy list.
LST-314 earned three battle stars for WorldWar II