LST-309 was laid down on 22 September 1942 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 23 November 1942; sponsored by Miss Mildred M. Leydon; and commissioned on 11 January 1943, Lt. C. A. Lanborn, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-309 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Sicilian occupation—July 1943
Salerno landings—September 1943
Invasion of Normandy—June 1944
Following the war, LST-309 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early November 1945.
Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 19 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 23 June 1947. On 1 June 1948, she was sold to the Humble Oil & Refining Co., Houston, Tex., and converted for merchant service.
LST-309 earned three battle stars for World War II service.