LST-308 was laid down on 15 September 1942 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 9 November 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Elizabeth A. Haggerty; and commissioned on 2 January 1943.
During World War II, LST-308 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Sicilian occupation—July 1943 Salerno landings—September 1943 Invasion of Normandy—June 1944
Following the war, LST-308 performed occupation duty in the Far East until late September 1946 and service in China in July and August 1946. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 17 October 1946. On 5 December 1947, the ship was transferred to the State Department for disposition.
LST-308 earned three battle stars for World War II service.