LST-306 was laid down on 24 July 1942 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 10 October 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Caroline De Simone; and commissioned on 11 December 1942, Lt. B. J. Bartram, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-306 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Sicilian occupation—July 1943
Salerno landings—September 1943
Invasion of Normandy—June 1944
Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 13 June 1946. She was redesignated Bernalillo County (LST-306) after a county in New Mexico on 1 July 1955 and struck from the Navy list on 1 February 1959. On 22 October 1959, she was sold to Ships, Inc., of Miami, Fla.
LST-306 earned three battle stars for World War II service.