LST-293 was laid down on 5 October 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 12 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. R. E. Mason; and commissioned on 17 January 1944.
During World War II, LST-293 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944.
Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 3 December 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 19 December 1945. On 1 June 1949, she was sold to James Hughes, Inc., New York, N.Y., for scrapping.
LST-29S earned one battle star for World War II service.