LST-291 was laid down on 25 September 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 14 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. John A. Parfitt; and commissioned on 22 December 1943, Ensign A. G. McNair in command.
During World War II, LST-291 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 18 June 1947 and struck from the Navy list on 19 May 1954. She was sunk as a target in July 1954.
LST-291 earned one battle star for World War II service.