LST-290 was laid down on 22 September 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 5 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. C. S. Garner; and commissioned on 10 January 1944.
During World War II, LST-290 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944.
Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 15 November 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 28 November 1945. On 23 December 1946, she was sold to Conlon and Tendler for conversion to merchant service.
LST-290 earned one battle star for World War II service.