Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-289

 

LST-289 was laid down on 14 September 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 21 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Raymond Clapper; and commissioned on 31 December 1943, Lt. Harry A. Mettler, USNR, in command.

 

LST-289 was transferred to the United Kingdom on 9 December 1944 and returned to United States Navy custody on 12 October 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 15 October 1946 and sold to the Netherlands as Fendracht on 30 January 1947 where she was converted for merchant service in 1956.