LST-288 was laid down on 6 September 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 7 November 1943; sponsored by Miss Virginia M. Plofchan; and commissioned on 20 December 1943.
During World War II, LST-288 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. She performed occupation duty in the Far East in late 1945 and early 1946.
Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 6 March 1946. She served with the Shipping Control Authority, Japan, from 20 May 1949 to 14 June 1950. On 1 July 1955, the tank landing ship was redesignated Berkshire County (LST-288) after a county in Massachusetts. She was transferred to Korea, on loan, on 5 March 1956 where she served as Ke Banff (LST-810).
LST-288 earned three battle stars for World War II service.