LST-286 was laid down on 23 August 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 27 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Lois Ethel Leseman; and commissioned on 11 December 1943.
During World War II, LST-286 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She performed occupation duty in the Far East in September, November, and December 1945.
Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 26 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946. On 15 April 1948, she was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping.
LST-286 earned two battle stars for World War II service.