LST-285 was laid down on 16 August 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 24 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. R. A. Shaw; and commissioned on 13 December 1943.
During World War II, LST-285 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944.
Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 27 June 1947 and struck from the Navy list on 1 August 1947. On 26 March 1948, she was sold to the Kaiser Co., Inc., of Seattle, Wash., for scrapping.
LST-285 earned two battle stars for World War II service.