LST-284 was laid down on 9 August 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 17 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. R. R. Goll; and commissioned on 25 November 1943, Ensign W. H. Pennington in command.
During World War II, LST-284 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. She performed occupation duty in the Far East until early November 1945.
Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 13 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 11 December 1947, she was sold to the Southern Shipwrecking Co., of New Orleans, La., for scrapping.
LST-284 earned three battle stars for World War II service.